Wednesday 8 April 2015

BEDA Day Eight! Cosmic Laughter from tAoP

Hey guys! I hope that you're well!

At the moment, I'm reading a book called The Art of Possibility (tAoP) by Rosamund and Benjamin Zander and I've loved it so much. It's a book that presents 12 practices about how to bring creativity into your professional and personal endeavours and for me, it presents many truths about life that you hadn't started to consider before. These truths make my mind blow and every time my mind blows, I have affectionately term it a 'KABOOM!' moment :D

So today, I wanted to share with you an anecdote from the book and which is part of the chapter called 'The Way Things Are' and it's all about cosmic laughter which is a concept I have grown to love.

The anecdote is about Roz and this is what she said:



As you can see, cosmic laughter is a wonderful thing because it's the moment at which you realise that by changing a small parameter in your mindset towards a task, you can stop meeting resistance and start being able to tackle the problem. You see the obvious which is in front of you that just wasn't clear to you before. This then allows you to surpass whatever was stopping you making progress before by allowing you to stop seeing it as an obstacle and rather just a slightly different surface on which you have to learn how to glide.

Cosmic laughter for me has been wonderful because it's made me feel so much better about situations that I had previously dreaded or had previously thought of negatively. For example, my previous blog post on this blog about not being replied to, if you make the assumption that the person you're talking to is deliberately ignoring you in order to make you feel unworthy and bad, you're bound to feel sad or dejected if they don't reply. However, by removing this from the equation, you can suddenly make conversation so much less of a personal affront and just a gift of presence wherever possible which I think we can agree, is much nicer! 

Moments of cosmic laughter can also be when you realise that you've placed assumptions in places where they're simply untrue, like Roz's assumption that skiing didn't include ice and this allows you to open up so many more possibilities about what the truth actually is rather than your assumption.

I hope that you guys enjoyed this post! If you've ever had a moment of cosmic laughter, please do let me know in the comments below because I'd love to hear about them! I hope you have a wonderful day and I hope to talk to you soon!

p.s. my good friend Matt made a video about the same topic here so if you have two minutes to spare, definitely go and check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment