Monday 21 July 2014

Heidi: the sweetest book that reminds us of things to be thankful for.

Hey guys! I hope that you're all as well as can be!

At the moment I'm making my way through a classic book called 'Heidi' and I'm enjoying it thoroughly. It was one of my favourite films as a child and it startles me that I hadn't yet read the book before now :)
(Here's the link to the film I loved)

This book really inspired me and made me thankful for where I've grown up and how easily available education is to us here. Heidi in the book struggles with how to read until she finds a new resolve to learn how to learn. It really reminded me just how lucky we all are to be able to read because, as it says in the book, it opens up a whole new universe of knowledge and excitement for us to experience and enjoy.
It hit me how lucky I am to have access to this portal of knowledge because umpteens of people around the world aren't as lucky.

This also reminds me of Jack Harries' recent trip to Nairobi and another town in Tanzania recently. In his blog post here, he tells of a charity called 'The School Fund' that brings school to the kids who wouldn't have otherwise have had a shot at education and he explores how we in the West even resent having to go to school and often forget just how lucky we really are to be in the position where education can be taken for granted. I personally found the post a really good burst of reality for myself and you can go check it out if you like :)

I hope that you guys enjoyed this post! As always, please feel free to empty your thoughts into the comments below and I'll speak to y'all soon! :) Also, have an awesome week ahead and don't get brought down by Mondays! :) x

No comments:

Post a Comment