Monday 20 October 2014

Passive Aggressiveness - My Thoughts

Hey guys! I hope that you're as well as can be!

Passive aggressiveness was something that has been stirring itself around my mind in a number of ways.
For example, on Thursday, my French class had a debate, in French, about the legalisation of cannabis, just to get us used to replying to each other in French, articulating ourselves and remembering the vocabulary that we've recently come across. According to our teacher, it was the most lively and engaging debate that she'd ever seen from the Year 12 class and I loved it though I came out of the class feeling like, at least during the class, I may have made some frenemies.

As I may have told you before, my French class is the one class where I know the least people and is also the smallest class of the four I have this year with a grand total of 15 people in it. For many people and I can certainly say I fall into this group when I'm not careful, a debate in class can feel quite personal though whatever happens may not be as close to heart as it comes out as. For the cannabis debate, we were split randomly into two teams and that meant that you just had to fight the corner that you were sat at. Sometimes though, it feels as if it can become a matter of who's right and who's able to get the other person down rather than just a matter of the class and that can become problematic when you're trying to make friends with new people. Nevertheless, in this specific case, I haven't had a French lesson since the debate so I'm hoping no lasting damage will have been had because my French class is pretty awesome.

This also leads me on to another thought that stemmed from this from another debate that we were having in my health class, whether giving into do what another person wants to avoid arguments is the best thing to do. For many of us this was definitely a grey area; isn't it better on a small scale to sacrifice the small things so that everything in the bigger picture can move on more swiftly or is it more detrimental to a relationship when the person who's leading forgets that there are limits to what the other person may feel comfortable and within their boundaries to do? In the end, I think it's probably a bit of both but I guess it's always going to be slightly different in every set of circumstances.

Overall, sometimes passive aggressiveness can be good because debating in a formal manner without being rude or saying things out of turn, though it can feel like you're personally attacking another person, it can actually be really good and can really help you develop your character and the way you face defeat and the way that you learn how to not take it personally and how to actually make good friends out of those who you debate with. However, passive aggressiveness in a relationship can be detrimental when it means that one person is constantly having their opinions repressed and their feelings ignored.

So, what do you guys think on this subject? Please feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments because I'd love to hear them and I'll speak to you guys soon!

p.s. on this note, I did have a little specific picture that came to mind when I thought of this post, so here ya go :)
p.p.s. who knows what film this is from? :o :D


No comments:

Post a Comment