Monday 16 June 2014

Wuthering Heights: A Book Recommendation (Spoiler Free!)

When I set out to read this book, I never imagined that I would enjoy it as much as I did.

In comparison to other books I've read, it was amazing because of the way it's so different from what you'd expect. Many of the characters are selfish and unlike able and that's what makes it so intriguing, because the love story is a story of two people who know they love each other and yet for reasons that they can't sort out between themselves, they don't get together and then what leads on from there is totally unexpected from a love story, that it's just worth reading for that. I won't spoil it!

The thing I really enjoyed about the book was the fact that it doesn't just follow the youth of the characters, it follows their lives and it's just beautiful to see how everything unfolds and how their children follow or completely change from the legacy of their parents. It was a good book because it wasn't just two separate families, it was two quarreling families and the fact that it didn't include third parties meant that the story was a lot easier to follow and the happenings were a lot more intense because you could follow the developments of the relationships between the characters as the years went by.

Above all, I would definitely recommend the book because of the fact the story unfolds in the most amazing and intriguing ways. I mentioned earlier that I liked it more than I thought I would and that was because, as many book worms out there would agree with me, when you read a book written from first person, and the narrator is selfish and perfectly detestable, it can completely ruin a good story line because of the way the story is distorted by the narrator's completely dumbfounded and unrelatable judgements. However, despite the fact the characters aren't exactly likable, it's not written from their point of view and that means that the narrator's views are expressed which makes the childish disputes and sulkiness not appear acceptable, rather, the narrator balances out the actions that make you question the sanity and morality of the main characters altogether.

The narrator was also one thing I loved about the book because she was both personal and detached; she knew the characters incredibly well and that meant that we could both watch the story unfold and know exactly why things were happening because of the point of view the story was written from. She both could relate the exact happenings and give us as the reader enough insight as the story unfolds for us to be able to follow along the character development and that was brilliant. I've not come across a novel written like it and 
I would thoroughly recommend the book if that sort of thing would intrigue you.
Finally, the ending was awesome because generations down the line, the characters actually become quite likable and that means that the story ends on a high and not a low like you might expect. The character development is fabulous and the depth that you can gain from each detail as well as the observations of the narrator just makes Wuthering Heights a fabulous read.


I hope that you liked this review, it's spoiler free and perhaps may serve more as a recommendation rather than a review. If you guys want me to do a review of the story and the characters, please do let me know because I just wanted to make sure that you didn't get the story spoiled for you if you were planning on reading the book! Thank you for reading! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment