Tuesday 8 September 2015

University - What it means to be 'Clever'

Hey guys! Long time no see!
I hope that those of you who are in the northern hemisphere like me have had a wonderful summer and break!

Today, a thought occurred to me, well a string of thoughts to be precise.

When you want to apply to university for courses that typically have higher grade requirements, it often feels like more and more and more is expected of you, as if talent in many areas and being a gifted individual is something that you can always choose.

That you have to be part of a sports club, that you've done well in your student council at school and actively take part. Perhaps you're even Head Boy or Head Girl!

I feel like I'm growing more and more towards disliking this image a lot because it shows blatant disregard for those who are more talented in those areas and work hard to get to where they are. I feel like it disregards those who aren't gifted as well as talented and makes them look more inferior in comparison and that is never the case! Never!

I just wish that more people would be given the opportunity to study at amazing institutions without having to be book smart because there are so many different ways of being smart and it feels like society is still stuck in tradition, where book smartness is almost always a ticket to get to places you want to go.

And where does it leave you when you've been told and have been book smart your entire life but you're not this perfect individual who's done everything under the face of the sun and done well in it? How is society supposed to make you feel, like you've somehow failed just by being yourself and doing what you can and what you're comfortable with?

Though I guess it can depend on where you set your eyes. There will always be a place for book smartness and all rounders in the most prized institutions but what I've grown to love in my search for my ideal university is that generally, you can find a place where you are the best candidate and where you're the one they want to pick for all of your flaws.

To end, if you're like me and you're trying to find a place for you, remember that you are invaluable being yourself and comparing yourself to other people or to a set of expectations that an institution sets doesn't determine your value as a person.
Cherish yourself. You're amazing, I don't know you and I know it.

I hope I can speak to you guys soon! Onwards and upwards!
Have a wonderful time, doing what you're doing and if you'd like to find out what I've been up to, I daily blogged the entirety of my summer on my side Tumblr blog!

<2

No comments:

Post a Comment